7.25.2005

Many Goodies in the Bag Tonight or The Itsy Bitsy Spider Rambles On

Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun. Should it not be insignificance? I wonder? Sociologically Weber could have been right on or not, but it's true in my own web (pun sort of, kind of, not really) of significance it occured to me tonight that it might be good idea to go back through my blog and do some retroactive editing. It was a thought, a whimsy really no more. I didn't do it of course; I was too lazy. I guess my theory that this would be a better blog if I went back and edited everything now that I write in it all the time, and have a reputation to maintain, will have to remain a theory and the empirical study will have to wait. It would have been totally subjective anyway. Leave it to the Anthropologist to sit on the porch and nap in the heat as opposed to actually doing some work. I am also not ostensible enough to think it matters. Washington Post, Sunday Edition....B3...the whole page is about Africa. "Top U.S.Diplomat Visits Darfur Take Three." A brief note about the nice little airstrip in Darfur for" Very Important People" and a great place for photo ops. The article at the bottom is of more significance, is the whole case and point, as far as I am concerned,and is stated clearly. Thanks for the money and the debt relief but "HELP US HELP OURSELVES". It is explains, according to the author, what Africa really needs from us, not that this is not out there but is being ignored. It's insightful for those interested. Written by Gebreselassie Yosief Tesfamichael, a developmental economist and former finance minister of Eritrea, and now a Washington based consultant currently writing a book on development and postwar reconstruction. His email is at the bottom of the article as well if you would like to chat him up and get some of those burning questions answered. Again however, Darfur in the Outlook section of the Post; shame on them. Sorry catching up on my Sunday Post reading I was floating in the ocean this weekend and the newspaper does not fare well there. Speaking of floating in the ocean.......... Floating about in the ocean this weekend it occurred to me that floating around fifty or a hundred yards from shore may not be exactly one of the sanest things to do, so then I wondered, why do I do it? I assume because I love being out there floating in the sea on a board all by myself and in control. Do I really think I am in control when I'm in a vast ocean waiting for a wave to potentially pummel me into the shoreline or for a shark to take my foot off in one bite? I guess not but at least I'm alone out there, not like being on a boat or some place where another human being is ultimately responsible for my safety. I prefer to take my chance with the ocean. It's that web of significance that I have woven so tightly around myself that I know for sure that even the almighty whatever it is would not dare take me yet................ ("I HAVE PLANS FOR YOU MY DEAH"...... gawd you're so gay.) Even at that the rush coming into shore is worth it. It's all about the rush. I realize my postings have been rather mundane as of late. I am on break; I feel that I deserve a few non thinking months. The cerebrum will go into action soon enough and as in previous times it will be overloaded to the point of feeling the little grey cells about to implode, but never quite getting that gratifciation. The implosion, which might provide some significant relief or take me over the edge to that place from which I would never return without the aid of psychotropic drugs, never occurs. My goals for the month are simple: To purchase only fair market coffee: Starbucks BTW is lacking significantly in that department as well. Only ten percent of their coffee is fair market. I have other goals which are secret and not at all noble in nature. I'm also am feeling much better about being out of the city for the summer being as I now know that I am living near,and spending a fair amount of time in what is the third sexiest suburb in the US. I'm not sure what that means but possibly that title was awarded to Newport after I started to hang out there, for afternoon tea and such. �Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.� I'm on a web roll so give me a break.

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I used to worry about that too, but then I came to a bit of reasoning that jived well with my laziness. Blogs are transient. Editing a past post would be kind of dishonest as it would still retain the same date even though its tainted by future thoughts.

I decided a while back that I wouldn't edit a post after a few hours, and also, that I wouldn't delete one unless someone asked me to and had a good reason.

I don't know if its some sort of twisted integrity or just foolishness, but that's what I've resolved. It may, of course, be entirely bush league, but whatever

7/26/2005 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I agree with you about Starbucks. And it's so expensive. My goals for August are to buy new light bulbs for my house, the ones that use less energy. I can't think of their name, well I can but I really have no clue as how to spell it. Anyway, I'm buying new energy saving light bulbs. I almost bought a new SUV the other day. I was so close. But I changed my mind. I refuse to give any more of my gas money that I already do to George Bush and terrorist supporting states.

7/26/2005 12:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that about Starbucks. Where exactly does one get fair market coffee?

I haven't found your postings as of late to be particularly mundane and I have never thought you ostensible in any way.

I enjoy reading this and your old stuff between friends at dj.

I am saddened to realize I do not live in one of the sexiest suburbs in the U.S.

You are nuts to be out in that ocean though so there is something slightly unstable about you.

7/26/2005 02:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahab in Wonderland?

7/26/2005 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is a coffeeshop next to where I live that has only fair-traded coffee, but isn't able to advertise that because they haven't paid to join the fair-trade-coffee group.

If you are looking for a place to buy some beans, and if you have such a place where you are, a store called 10,000 Villages always sells that stuff. Or you could just look it up online.

Alice, if I run away from Nebraska, can I sleep on your couch?

7/26/2005 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Actually, Alice, I like the mountains for the same reason. Nice to be alone. By the way, if this is you not thinking...

Weirsdo, that was sharp as always.

7/26/2005 03:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy above noted it: If this is not a thinking post I don't think I'd be qualified to read a thinking post.

7/26/2005 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Rex Venom said...

Wide thoughts!
Rock on!

7/26/2005 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger mojo shivers said...

I never touch a post except to correct spelling mistakes. Even then, I only change it if I should have known better.

Blogs are supposed to imperfect, otherwise there'd be a governing body of blogging that would grade everybody's post.

7/27/2005 12:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am concerned that one day there may be a real governing body of blogging.

This blog would pass on many levels even though it doesn�t lead itself to categorization.

�Wide Thoughts�, as noted, describes this post and this blog aptly. From this post through the random posts I have pulled to read, mostly cherry.
I think you use words well without pretense, are clever and interesting.


Karl Rove being your daddy will not be held against you. Nice pics.
Sense of humor too.

Nice work.

Followed a few NYU links on another journal and ended up here.

Chase

7/27/2005 01:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about revising all the time; but then think about all the things yet to be written

Will revise for the book ;-)

I am so not a Talbots person, but it's like black--easy dressing--totally off your subject

7/27/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sometimes I revise the day the post first goes up--thats honest and a work in progress.

If I were going to revise a long ago post, would link back to that--to show it, and show the transition

7/27/2005 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Wombat: I was thinking more along the lines of grammatical corrections as
when I first started I would post blindfolded and was thinking of this more along the lines of notes for myself.

MJ: Luck with the light bulbs.

Jake: Some coffee shops sell them, there are a few companies that sell them , a company in Massachusetts called " Deans Beans" comes to mind.


Weirdso: Ha, thinking on your feet.
Coyote: If I had a couch you could sleep on it.
Doug: I love the mountains as well.
Joe: I'm not sure you are qualified to read any of my posts.
Rex: I like your speak.
MoJo: The governing body of blogging. Now that is frightening.

Annony: Chase do I know you?

Pia: I figured you for non Talbot�s. Get revising, waiting for book I am.

7/27/2005 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Elbot said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your comment to my guest post at Waking Ambrose. I am not affiliated with the CIA. If I were, I am sure they would have told me.

Good luck with your goals. I like the Starbucks idea. I often stand around with a cup of Starbucks coffee in my hand. I don't drink it, though. It's just for decoration, and the aroma makes my wires hum (so does being adored)!

7/28/2005 03:50:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Elbot, I am honored to have you as the first robotic type, to comment. You're right coffee could be very corrosive to your inner workings so stay away from it if you can.

7/28/2005 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Elbot said...

But how do you know I'm the first? Who can tell how many of those people out there are robots or not?

7/29/2005 03:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://wsmfadio.com/grgx/qcns.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qbfebjwl.com/bfhd/plpe.html]Cool site[/url]

9/22/2006 08:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

9/22/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://wsmfadio.com/grgx/qcns.html | http://avylamkk.com/jlju/wqxl.html

9/22/2006 09:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://wsmfadio.com/grgx/qcns.html | http://avylamkk.com/jlju/wqxl.html

9/22/2006 09:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home