10.12.2005

We are Magic He Said, but Don't Let It All Go To Your Head

I will be very busy this next week with school, a visit from an old friend this weekend as well as a Jason Mraz concert. I am not a hypocrite as one can do both Interpol and Mraz in a month�s time and not be a traitor to the cause of real music. And you're going to get yours, my lady. Might even be today And it ain't no thing 'cause I'll be rolling right along with you-woo-woo Ah, to be sexually exhausted. I spend most of my free time studying in between little groupie excursions and a project here or there, not to mention my friends are of the mode in which friends don�t let friends blog sober, or drunk. I can�t post daily or even every couple of days right now; I can spam your blogs though so no concern there. I want to thank my roommate ; she does a damn good job doing the blog explosion thing for me. I am not sure why but last year I got her in the habit of scrolling through blogs on blog explosion for me and she did, often marking blogs that I would never even look at because our tastes in everything are really so different; she is a storm trooper though as while only dreaming of starting a blog herself she routinely reads mine and my links. I don't want her to do this any longer, but I fear I have created a monster; she scrolled - get this - one hundred blogs on blog explosion yesterday, to what end I have no idea; that is what friends are for I guess. Me thinks she may need to add another class to her schedule. One of my professors to me.

Crazy girl what are you doing?
Get off that damn computer and give me some love.
I'm posting a link to where you can get The Cranky Liberal's awesome video on the sidebar ( turn head left to see it ) take a look see. I looked at Crankys blog and pictures of his kid�s soccer team. It is interesting to see that some of these people are really human.Soccer- kids- keep em busy and in good physical shape when young, good idea. I played soccer here and in Australia when I was younger and up until junior year of high school when I dropped it and just ran cross country and track; my parents always felt kids should be busy and kept physically and mentally active as it helps them concentrate. As the kids get older the " keeping them busy" was more often than not a way to help keep them not so focused on things such as sex; it seemed universally thought among the yupper(yuppie) echelon that the more free time one had the more one was likely to engage in sex at an early age. I'm not so sure this is the case as if I had had more time in high school I would have probably slept but whatever. It worked well enough up a point I guess, but eventually that point of time comes; I think it important that one not be physically and emotionally exhausted in order that if they decided to loose the challenge their parents felt they needed to mount, that they can enjoy it. :) I was kidding about that quote being one of my professors, but things have been rather dry around here lately and I wanted to startle you all awake and respond in kind to an email I received about appearing to like older men. I do like older men, but if you're not linked here you're obviously not one of them. Flax seeds, well they tear me open And supposedly you could crawl right through me Taste these, teeth please And undress me from the sweaters Better hurry cause I'm heating Upward bound now, Oh, maybe I'll build my house on your cloud Here I'm tumbling for you Stumbling through the work that I have to do Don't mean to harm you I promise a wanna be dirty girl post before I take off into the oblivion which is my life of choice, or my choice of life or whatever. Doug: I am still intimidated by you, and the fact that guest poster this week had to post three words in "show off" fashion leads me to believe my effort would be totally inadequate. ;) Pia did an interview at Bring it On which makes me think we should all interview everyone on these blogs with the only stipulation being that we can ask whatever we want. We appear to feel deeply saddened and full of social responsibilty for, and about the deaths from the earthquake, as we did about the deaths and destruction from the hurricane; we rush to aid, and feel a gut reaction inside everytime a new disaster strikes. What perplexes me, if that is the word I'd like a word more vitriolic in nature but can't come up with one right now, is that people can feel strongly and want to rush to the aid of some victims and not others - when one thousand die we gasp - when forty thousand perish we gasp louder and in horror and run to help. What happens when generations are destroyed? Nothing. What is it about the brain that can separate these humanitarian issues? A link to the Coalition for Darfur Post follows. I posted a link this time as you might want to look around the links in their side bar; I realize that showing off my boobs for cancer is certainly a nobel cause, even for one with exhibitionist tendancies, but in a land where AIDS, poverty, rape, and genocide are a daily occurance those tits mean nothing. You need to see it as well. Go to it. Katrina and Darfur. title and all purple people eater lyrics via J Mraz.

24 Comments:

Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

After reading that excellent post, I can't even give you crap about the Jason Mraz concert.

Damn you.

10/12/2005 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh, the life of busy-ness. When you have a million things to do and maybe get ten done in a day. I've been grading papers for two days, will do more tomorrow and on Monday, plus grading tests. And I need a haircut, have a wedding on Saturday, need to pay bills, do laundry, do dishes, clean and return my futon pad from my car to my living room, sleep, eat, and poop. Next tuesday, I'm not even putting pants on. Anything not done by then isn't getting done at all. (Its a day off).

10/13/2005 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Leviathan said...

I'm not sure exactly of why I'm here, It has something to do with me liking the way you write and a lot to do with being a big Alice in Wonderland fan. But I'm here, saying Hi! and that sure beats the alternative!

10/13/2005 01:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I hadn't just finished a killer econ paper I would comment more. I read the whole thing and you had me with the professor thing for a second.

Can you imagine how busy my parents were trying to keep six kids from thinking about sex?

I don't know how to respond about Africa except to say it's true.

10/13/2005 03:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About my last comment, I said MY blogosphere--I don't get out from my link list a lot, so you are the conscience for me, even if you got it somewhere else.
I think people have an us-them mentality when it comes to charity, and that's not all bad. I felt more compelled by New Orleans than the earthquake victims because it was closer to home. And if one of my children had been having even a minor operation when one of those things happened, I would have been concentrated on my child. Selfish? Maybe. But I am the best person to help my child.
That said, we do need to try to overcome these feelings and understand that we're all "us."

10/13/2005 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger zydeco fish said...

My parents never once tried to keep me busy. It's amazing how quickly we forget about disasters. This is a scary list:
http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/disaster.html

10/13/2005 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Alice, I'm sure I don't get the intimidation thing. If we met in a club (not sure what I'd be doing there or how I got it, but theoretically) you and your gay friend Matt would be making fun of me before I could slink out the door.

I've been reading your site for a few months now and am certain you rock, but have it as you will.

I do kind of growl, though. I'll admit that.

10/13/2005 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

interviews sound pretty cool.

I've actually been surprisingly busy for the last couple of days. Going to bed exhausted is a nice change; beats staring at the ceiling for 6 hours before getting 2 hours of sleep.

10/13/2005 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

We get so caught up in the whirlwinds of our lives, its so hard to slow down. I think when I surf, time stands still for a moment and everything gets quiet. I can get back to who I am.

Older men huh? I took to liking older women this year...maybe because I am getting older, but my lit professor is damn fine, and is older...but only by 4 years! hehehehe Does that count?

Have fun seeing Mr. Mraz and hangin' with the old friend. I can't wait for the "wanna be a dirty girl" post ;)

10/13/2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As usual, my post on this topic has little or nothing to do with what you posted. But I enjoy being irrelivant, and spelling is overrated.

10/13/2005 02:53:00 PM  
Blogger Rio said...

your site is beautiul i look forward to it and you astound me with your diligent studying. i have a cold and am going to lay out in the san francisco sun instead of going to dance class. oh and good luck with the whole exhausted rom sex thing.

10/13/2005 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

i stopped paying attention after the sexual exhaustion part. kidding. have a great time at the concert.

10/13/2005 08:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Your rommate is in great need of a life.

Off to Cranky's blog--you made me feel very guilty as he was my first friend in blog land, and ironically or not, I was one of Doug's first friends in the blogosphere. Virtually incestous.

We all adopted you. Gawd Cooper you make everything sound...

10/13/2005 09:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing you as I have since you were in ninth grade, not so much in the last couple of years, I am going to guess the sexual exhaustion was not to be taken literally but more as a musing; you are much too busy applying due diligence to your studies and your single mindedness has paved you a very long one way track from which, you yourself have to admit, there is no going back.

The professor thing did give me pause.

10/13/2005 09:46:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Seizethenite: You can give me grief all you want, it will not sink in; I�m fairly obstinate when it comes to making up my mind about music. ;)

Coyote: Sounds like a busy schedule; I hope you get time for the poop.

Leviathan: I so know how that is; we are all in search of Alice. Glad you stopped in, sorry the place was such a mess.

Jake: Yeah it is sad but true and six kids is pretty much enough to do anyone in, at least I imagine.

Weirdso: I guess I just never really understood the us them thing.

Zydecofish: Scary is right.

Doug: I do rock of course, but if I met you in a club,theoretically as you would probably die rather then enter the bars I have been into, I would introduce you to my friends Matt and Ben, neither who live in NY but theoretically. I would ask you to buy me(a pitcher of ) gin and tonic ( Bombay Saphire), you�d probably give me some crap about not drinking and act all self righteous but in the end my charms would win you over and you would buy it and we would get totally smashed and make fun of everyone in blog land( mostly me). When you got up to start dancing with Ben or Matt ( actually they are together now so this could be problematic) I would have to drag you off the floor, as it is a sports bar after all and we are not supposed to be dancing, and we would then go eat sushi at a late night sushi place a few blocks away, the supply side there being not so full of spit and with a line chef that recites the most inane poetry.

Wombat: I'm glad you're busy with you pursuits of happiness and such. It is so good to got to bed really tired.
Yes I can start with my interview of you, it's either you or mojo as you were my first links I believe.

Leigh: I know life does stand still out there as it does sometimes in a mountain while snowboarding. Four years doesn't count it is practically the same age. I mean it's not when your fourteen, but when you hit twenty four years is nothing, and by thirty it is the same age.( that doesn't take mental age into account) Yea those wanna be dirty girl posts are hard. I think I just like that sentence " wanna be dirty girl".

Coyote: irrelevancy is the point.

Rio: thanks , I'm not diligent due to some admirable quality it is more of a psychological quality.

Transcience: got to stop somewhere, the beginning is as good as the end. ;0

Pia: I know she is pretty busy really; it is amazing what you can do when you carry a computer around all day. Awwww
so much for incestuous cyberspace.

John: giving pause - isn't that my term. The "ah to be exhausted from sex thing" was a literal reference to my inability to curb my indifference to the same.

One can admire due diligence in regard to studies while at the same time finding fault with the way one ignores the parts that are non academic in nature slicing them to shreds( or is it threads) on the cutting room floor, even stepping on them as one passes over.

It�s the whole these boots are made for walking theme. Thank You for putting me in my very small place as always.

10/13/2005 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I rather like the phrase "curb my indifference." I think I shall steal it at some point.

10/14/2005 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Jacob said...

Great read.

Great comments.

I have fifteen years on you and do not remember being kept that busy, but things changed in that fifteen years.

10/14/2005 01:10:00 AM  
Blogger Nobody said...

Save the people...show your boobs. heh...

What about a poop-a-thon?..I'm not sure what it could fix or if it could attract anyone with money but I'm sure it could be useful some how.

Maybe I've seen Mraz, but I doubt it. Interpol I like.

Every time I come to your blog I feel so overwhelmed because I stopped putting even a fraction of this much effort into blogging many moons passed.

10/14/2005 03:22:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man if that is what must be done to cure colon cancer I hope I'm never diagnosed with it.

10/14/2005 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Self-righteous?!?!? I'm humble as a thousand African Villages! Humble as the Moon! Humble as the galaxies that spin the cosmos! That was quite a scenario. You must be pretty charming.

10/14/2005 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Alice. Thanks. You know why.

10/14/2005 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Wombatty: You may steal it I'm kind of sick of it myself.

Average: Thanks

Bennett: Sure, lots of raisin bran needed. I know I do tend to overwhelm. So sorry. I'll send ya some mraz.



Wombatty: maybe just a good old fashion butt -a - thon will do. That's my best attribute anyway, so I say let's do it.
More along the lines of ASS for Africa.

Doug: ;) shusssh

I am not as charming as one might think; it is a faux internet personality in which I can make myself more pleasant than the raving bitchy lunatic I am in real life.

Graham: Isn't it fun not to know?


Anyhoo it is all pretty clear if one has read what I have written over the last year; although, it may be a little clouded among metaphors and or similees or just regular old bull shit.

Guess it's not pretty clear but then again I prefer it that way. I'm not that brave.

10/14/2005 01:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

meant to say how beautiful the sentences "what happens when generations are destroyed? Nothing" are. nor beautiful, beautiful but wise

10/15/2005 05:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually disgusted that more has not been done for the Dafor region. It's one of the biggest genocides of our time, but has gone realatively unreported.

10/18/2005 10:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home