1.09.2006

Alice is reporting for duty - take my word the plane did not go down.

I've no doubt that Derrida, was somewhat correct in his assumption that language, (written or spoken), does not always clearly state to others, (or to oneself for that matter), a true, perfect, and constant intent. I am, as are you dear readers, slightly blogocentric. Am I provoking you and playing a game as some feel Derrida did? No.I play this game for myself only because I am on a fucking plane with nothing to do, no skinny geek in pink musician to gawk at, and because I really have to sleep ,and I of course can�t. I do this because I was sitting in LA FUCKING X writing on my computer when some women started talking to me; I was tired and tried to ignore her yet she rambled on and on as I politely smiled. Then I heard vaguely the word "blog". I said �what�? OK,maybe I didn't say " what " maybe my eyebrow just arched in that inquisitive way it has a habit of doing, either way she prattled on, she was asking me if I had ever heard of blogs. I answered �no�. I�m not habitually deceptive, but I rarely blog share with strangers. She explained to me what they were and I looked at her in amazement and threw in an "oh really" and "sounds interesting�" and even the good old "I could never get into that". She told me she reads blogs constantly and that she even had her own. I asked her if I could read her blog, so she flicked on her very nicely done wordpress blog. There were a few rather private entries which she seemed to want me to read, this after chatting about some erotic blogs she reads and how her blog was her private little secret which no one, not even her husband, knew about. Luckily her flight was leaving as was mine so I thanked her, told her that her blog was quite awesome and that I might consider starting one...someday. I have come to the conclusion that in its own functional way the blogesphere has taken on a personality of its own and can be viewed objectively as a living organism; it has it's own collective consciousness, or perhaps several as we break it down into several sub species ( so to speak). There may be a degree off blogocentrism going on but as with life it happens. We all tend to think ours, or at least our group, is better than the others. I try however to stick with my theory, stolen of course and then mutated somewhat, of blog cultural relativism. I believe �to each his own�, and no one blog or group of blogs is better than others, they are each what they are and serve a purpose to the people who write them. ( this I believe despite the fact that I know all the blogs on my sidebar are the best and everyone else�s is crap) No blog Sophist I. I�ll read email now and move on to some sleep and then I�ll whore around all your blogs and see what miracles have occurred out there while I was doing the hula. I found this on my laptop during my trip and uploaded it to somewhere others can download it. It's the very old acoustic version of Jason Mraz's Plane. This is a perfectly legal download. It is interesting to listen to if you have heard the orchestrated version on his last CD. note: PERFECTLY LEGAL - NOT PROFESSIONALLY RECORDED - ACOUSTIC VERSION OF FROM SOMETIME IN THE SPRING OR SUMMER OF 2004 (in the land of the seventeen year cicada) . IN CASE YOU DO NOT KNOW ,YOU MAY NOT REPRODUCE THIS IN ANY WAY; ALTHOUGH,YOU CAN SHARE IT. OF COURSE YOU CAN NOT SELL IT OR YOU WILL GO TO JAIL FOR A VERY LONG TIME....LONGER THAN MARTHA STEWART BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE HER FINANCIAL CAPABILITIES. note: Blog entry written on a plane somewhere over these united states. No revisons will be forthcoming.

28 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lying to strangers is fun!

I guess that in general your theory works, but I defy the notion that the people who employ blogspamming to promote their personal blogs can be seen as our equals, no matter through whose lense. Same deal with the bad poets and whiney emo teenagers. Guess it's my elitism poking through.

1/09/2006 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I blog because it allows me an outlet for outrage, joy, pain, and weirdness. Its an outlet I don't have in my normal life, because I don't quite trust people who know me.

I blog, therefore I might be.

1/09/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that you, like so many literary critics I have known and/or read, are torn between a desire to be egalitarian and an inner understanding that, indeed, some aesthetic or even quasi-aesthetic products are more equal than others. Since I was in graduate school, this dilemma has been addressed by a good many people, and I believe that cognitive science and Levinas, to give two examples, point to solutions to this problem.
In regard to your remark about Derrida, specifically, Levinas suggests that the purpose of language is not primarily to communicate intent, but to express one's relationship with the Other, a relationship which is fundamentally ethical.

1/09/2006 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And, as I forgot to say it earlier, Welcome Back, we all missed you.

1/09/2006 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to me that something you may have smoked in Hawaii has stimulated your already active grey cells in an effort to, again, pursue answers to to questions most people never ask.

Welcome back to the mainland akamai wahine.

1/09/2006 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

"I believe �to each his own�, and no one blog or group of blogs is better than others, they are each what they are and serve a purpose to the people that write them." - I couldn't agree more. And this is why the blogging awards are a joke (though flattering to be recognized by one's fellow bloggers).

And good to have you back (I think you're back?).

1/09/2006 07:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to have a core group of friends, branch out, come back home,and branch out again

But really you should have told her that you're the famous Alice or Cooper or whatever you are that day with all the older rock star boyfriends.

1/09/2006 07:39:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

esoteric wombat: Indeed it is your elitism poking through. It's ok though we all have our pet peeves.

coyote: a good a reason as any and thanks.

roborman: yup yup and I never did go to sleep.

weirsdo: Indeed the other can not be known our intent can't truly be known.
I have always thought to some degree that the other was a rather scary way to look at it but of course it makes perfect sense but only at the time. I have found varied schools of pyhilosophy that work for me at any given time. There are , of course , those that disagree as to the intent of language.
Protagoras: I have a feeling, although vaugue, that I would have liked protagorus in all his moral relativistic extremis.

joeg: so you've been there eh? lol

Sar: I'm back

Pia: cooper, n. A unusually social being with never ending curiosity about her fellow human beings, the exception being in the middle of fifteen hours of air time, in LAX, with a headache. and

1/09/2006 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm glad you're back. That story's kind of hysterical to me. Let's say all blogs are meant to be written but not all meant to be read.

1/10/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Yikes if I wasn't so lazy I'd delete my comment above as it is certainly a true statement to the fact that one should not type anything, especially blog comments, on only " in the air sleep".

Doug: Aw so good to have my dog back.

1/10/2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

Excuse my valley girl impression for a second, but OH... MY... GOD... I just had a Vietnam-like flashback to Foucault and Derrida in grad school.

There's a reason why so many graduate students drink. And bloggers.

But I suppose relating the two would be structuralist, and consign me to some post-modern hell.

Oh well. At least the lighting will be good.

1/10/2006 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Welcome back.

I am a blog snob and like the group of people I hang with the best. We are better than them all, yeah!

Sorry but bohemian snobs are hard to change and this one is hardwired with that idea!

And their blogs are better than all others too... this includes you, in the "better" part that is... yes, I know it is something you just have to live with! *sigh*

Glad to have you back. This boho chic is quite fried today so forgive the blabbering and diarrhea of the mouth... or it is of the fingers? Hmmmm...

Ok, ok, I'm off...

1/10/2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

dan: I like your valley girl impression. I'm sorry for instigationg a flashback.........how do you think I felt. ;0
Seriously though we are all in some kind of hell post modern or not.

Mizzy BohemL sigh...... carry on you crazy, delightful peice of humanity.

1/10/2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Airports are so much fun. Almost makes me want to start my blog back up.

Welcome back and can't wait for those surfing pics.

1/10/2006 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Rio said...

i would deny my blog to strangers and personal friends alike, but i dont usually talk to strangers, an old woman asked me for a ride the other night i was too freaked out by her, she had blue eye shadow, i couldnt give her the ride. oh and hi, hi, hi,hi, repetition...

1/10/2006 03:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are and always be be a sophist. This will eternally make you unattractive to stupid people despite your outward appearance.

1/10/2006 04:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to add something.
I love Oahu, it was almost as warm here for a day or two.

Philosophy breaks my heart. When do you go back? I'm goingback this weekend.this

1/10/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

Can I be in your blog group? Pretty please? I'll even wear the uniform!!

1/10/2006 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if I.M. Dedd would wear the uniform if he knew it consisted of a large spike inserted someplace tender.

1/10/2006 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger The ZenFo Pro said...

lol, chica. Sounds like the normal-as-abnormal can be LAX experience. I get the facebook "add me to your friends:" list (You and I have had the Evil-That-Is-Facebook discussion...lol). I agree that the blogosphere tends to behave like an ecosystem; sometimes like a junior high cafeteria. At least you were polite...glad to see you made it back safe and sound :)

1/10/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

hehehe...you undercover blogger! Well I wondered when the Mraz lyrics would show up again! ;)

1/10/2006 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

mj: I'm glad you think they are fun. I can live without them. You'll get surf pictures when you start blogging again. ;O

rio: yea unfortunately for me a few of my friends slipped in and my roomate periocially scrolls it but in general it is not really something I pass around. hihihi, actually I was doing a what was I guess a not so obvious Nirvan impression with the hello , hello , hello. Next time I'll add a few more lines. ;)

john: I have no idea how to answer that. I go back this weekend.

Dedd: I thought I was supposed to ask that question to you....you old "popular around the world and in many obscure languages " kind of guy.
coyote: I'm sure he would, he seems open to all that might be considered weird to some.

zenpro: safe anyway...you must have been posting this at the same time I was posting a comment at your place.

leigh: yea those lyrics just hand around waiting for their opportunity...damn them. That is a good name for another blog...undercover blogger. We are all undercover bloggers.....;)

1/10/2006 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger Day by Day said...

Glad you had such a blast in Hawaii... but good to see you back as well! ;)

I like "undercover blogger"...

Ahhhhh.... Jason Mraz's *drooling*

1/10/2006 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

under cover bloggies could be a name for a brand of underwear.

I find drooling men distasteful, not drooling dogs just drooling men...or men who drool like dogs.

My dog always loved me best.

1/11/2006 01:32:00 AM  
Blogger Minerva said...

Was it Derrida who got run over by the Laundry van or was it Barthes? Wouldn't that make an 'undercover' blogger a bit of a sick joke? Or just a forced one?

Minerva

1/11/2006 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Weren't they both run over by laundry vans?

Those were the good old days....

The days of laundry vans that is.

Certainly a sick forced joke is always good for a cheap chuckle.

1/11/2006 06:10:00 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

LOL - Undercover Bloggies...that's great!

1/12/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

You mean to say that there are groups of blogs? Aww, crap!

1/18/2006 01:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home