1.15.2006

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road

I�m now technically the queen of moderation at Courting Destiny. This makes me happy as to be truly evil is only a dream. It matters not that "she knows not what she does"; she will however delete the F word from her written vocabulary. OK, no pandering or plugging because Miz Bohemia will get irritated (she�s really irritated about the in-law thing) but you have to read this because it is good. Do the audio version if you are able. No classes until Tuesday; we get the holiday to ponder a form greatness and courage the likes of which I can only hope arrives again - on this close to souless earth of near ethical devastation - in human form in my lifetime. MoJo posted a comment which gave me something to think about.( not deeply)

I honestly don't know what I'd do with all the attention other bloggers receive. I'd seriously be worried about it affecting how honest and upfront I am about who I am and what I write about. The minute I start catering to the audience is the minute I start losing what little audience I have.
I considered this for a moment. Mojo writes stories which always expose a part of him, and I�ve always considered it a form of courage inherent to writers. ( Pia of course you know exactly what I mean). It�s why I am not really a writer, and why I read so many blogs that are written by people who are. Just look at my links and see for yourself. I am able to live vicariously through their honesty and revelations while at the same time pandering myself somewhat, as you obviously know I do at times, to an audience even if the audience if only in my head. I do write differently now than I did back when I started this blog , or maybe not differently as much as I write about different things. I mean why not write about Darfur if people are actually reading this now. Back when no one read it, and I didn�t get random emails from the interestingly strange,(back before I knew that I was supposed to actually comment on the comments of people who commented), and that I was supposed to go check out their blogs. I didn�t start a blog for that reason, but I do think that once I started to get comments and realized people read this thing what I wrote about changed. To know me well may be to like me less as they say and this may be what we all fear. Or maybe it's just me. Selling out�well it has always been overrated. Then again I never cared that Green Day sold-out�.you have to pay the bills some how and you can�t sing about slacking off and masturbation forever�.life goes on. To those of you who really write, and you know who you are, it would be a sell out for you to do it any other way. For the rest of us�.meh�fuck it.
I'm walking down the line That divides me somewhere in my mind On the border line Of the edge and where I walk alone
Title and blockquote lyrics/Greenday.

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I definately see an audience as being something to draw energy from. I also relish the ability to get instant feedback.

I think that it was Kevin Smith who said that if you get paid at all for your work you've sold out. Not quite sure I agree but I can see the point of view.

Green Day on the other hand, took the whole anti-Bush thing and paraded it and made millions without doing any actual political activism. I'll be surprised if even a third of the people who bought the album vote in the next election.

1/15/2006 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

If the best someone can do about something is sing�so be it. Expectations otherwise are unrealistic.

The number of people who vote have very little to do with anything. It is not the job of a musician to make people vote; that form of civil responsibility is either inbred or learned from a very early age and instigating a bunch of ignorant college student to vote( possibly due to their infatuation with a guy who wears eye make-up) would be counter productive to the basic reasoning behind the system.

I doubt a whole of George Carling fans run to those polls despite his constant denigration of the system which engulfs us all with is ineptitude and greed in a daily basis.

1/15/2006 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Honsety is one of the few things that can reach out and touch you in your seat.

On the other hand, it may be the kind of thing your elementary school counselor warned you about... bad touch.

Hey, I'm entertained, and that's all that's important to me.

1/15/2006 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Rex Venom said...

You don't count yourself as a writer?
Hmmmm.
Wither way, writer or not, opening up or just creating, it is always good for one to share his or her brain goo with the world. You never know how powerful a single line, or word even, can be for someone reading it.
Rock on!

1/15/2006 11:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, your Majesty.
You don't count yourself as a writer? Damn. I have to go and retract all those Bloggy nominations.

1/16/2006 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's a difference, though. George Carlin does what he does with wit and intelligence, and he puts a new spin on everything. Green Day just basically said, "Fuck Bush. Fuck that guy"

And SOAD waxes political in their material, and they get involved.

but whatever. I don't much feel like arguing.

1/16/2006 05:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jacob said...

I like the mix up.

A little of this a little of that.

I love george carlin.

I agree with you about that scenario.


I'm still crying over the sidebar add.

1/16/2006 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

This bohemian is having a heart attack! I had written something worthy of a thousand blushes and between blogger and my hiccuping connection it was all for nought! AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh!

Alice, you are the cause of shock behind my look. This bohemian is flattered and humbled by the unexpected attention... I guess being irritated is a good thing. Someone forgives a certain someone for calling the first someone crazy over at Leigh's because now I know that you like me, you really like me!

*smug bohemian feels hoity toity and oh so famous!*

Writing... I stumbled upon your blog by chance. I no longer remember how. I was met with a jumble of words and ideas, at times incoherent, which would then WHAM, show their true face and smack me with meaning. I liked the girl behind the blog, or what I could see of her because she played peekaboo, you see. So I return in the hopes of someday having enough pieces to complete the puzzle. The problem is that it is a forever in motion and ever-changing face that keeps me guessing... and that sweet girl is an art in and of itself... call it what you will, call me crazy but in my book you are a writer and this bohemian will be back for more... yes, unfortunately for you my friend but you have brought it upon yourself...

1/16/2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've never tried to make my blog about anything. Its a release valve for myself, so often I write about either things that annoy me or amuse me. I don't know if other people think of that as real writing. I also don't care, and if anyone wants to judge me, I have some very specific responces for what they can do with their pretentions.

1/16/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never use the f word in comments--can't figure out why you're put in moderation

Unless they've heard about all the older male rock stars

We all think that we're less than our blogs which is kinda stupid because what is it but a reflection of us?

Especially you who puts so much of your soul into your blog...

And your soul into our lives; yick that sounded weird--but you know what I mean

And I should officially crown you!
With a tiara or a garland?

1/16/2006 03:18:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

dan: good.

rexy: indeed rexy your brain goo is fine when you don't hide behind the pictures.

weirsdo: I love getting congratulations from Guantanamo
candidates

robotman: I never said that.
wombat: whatever
bizman: jeeesoo it is nothing to cry about so be a man now will you please.

mizzy b: we will cal you miz hoity toity and you should be famous. I'm sure you are aware that the loss of puzzle pieces is almost impossible to avoid.

coyote: writing is as writing does. Everyone writes for their own reason otherwise what would be the point.


protagoras: I do so like to be between things....even lines.

pia: I'm sure it's because of my daddy that they moderate me. They moderated me or sent me a warning at Bring It On because someone thought my comment on one of the posts was offensive. I am beginning to get paranoid as it was the most benign comment I have ever written.

Garland�..please.

1/16/2006 04:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a glitch in the system; or somebody fooling with it; not you; so please don't take it seriously

Though I'm sure that your daddy had something to do with your comments being moderated.

However, this comment wasn't moderated, so maybe...

1/16/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Wow, I'm bowing to Protagoras. That's a great description of the brilliant Alice.

But, whatever. Point is, you rock, AC.

1/16/2006 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

I say F it too. This country is founded on sell outs.

1/16/2006 06:47:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Doug: yea ..my eyes are bleary I thought you wrote whatever points you at a rock Alice. Maybe bed would be a good idea at this time.

Leigh: here here.

1/17/2006 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Er, that is so not what I wantd you to write about...

1/18/2006 01:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home