2.01.2006

Won't You Let Me Walk You Home From School?

( Won�t you let me walk you home from school) Some guy actually asked me this today. I thought it was so kind of �back in the day"ish. Dude I live in NYC you think I�m crazy? Brought this song to mind though. Won't you let me meet you at the pool Maybe Friday I can get tickets for the dance and I'll take you I�m going to admit I fell asleep during the State of the Union and woke up as the pundits were barfing it out. From what I have heard I didn�t miss much, but do know from the extensive news coverage that the great and potential uterus thief was there but without his teary eyed spousal unit. That�s all I know. Sadly I haven�t had time to actually catch a rehash and I don�t think I�m going to . I�m growing weary of the failure of this nation to have anything even close to common sense , decency or humanity and do not want to waste a precious hour. Won't you tell your dad, "Get off my back" Tell him what we said 'bout 'Paint It Black' Rock 'n Roll is here to stay Come inside where it's okay And I'll shake you.

�Mother� ( yes I call her mother I don�t know why I have never really called her mom to her face and even she finds this strange) � have you seen my passport there anywhere�? � No why would I have occasion to see your passport, you know I don�t go through your things especially seeing all your things are boxed up or in drawers� ( ya right , you know damn well you didn�t raise an idiot so why even tell that fib ) �Okay, so will you go through my things and see if you can find my passport? Look in the desk, and the drawers and if not there go through all the boxes in the room and then in the attic� �Did you happen to throw out boxes of anything that you may have thought was junk?� �No Cooper I didn�t. Do not take on such an accusatory tone when you have misplaced something quite on your own.�

I hadn�t noticed a tone of any kind, slight anxiety maybe but panic no at least not yet.

I have lost my passport so some serious investigative work is under way. I thought that the last time I used it was London Freshman year then realized it was Chile the summer after that. (God if my memory is that bad already what is it going to be like in ten years when I�m thirty) The fact is it does make a difference when I used it last as there are several places it could be. If London was the last place than it would have been likely that it was still in my old home in Maryland packed in the attic or possible packed away in boxes in Providence, but as Chile is the last time I used it is possibly packed away in my grandmothers attic in Charleston in a house I currently own, as it was left to me upon her death, or...that I somehow threw it away or brought it to NY with me that autumn and lost it. This could pose a problem which I have to try to rectify quickly if I am going to Costa Rica. Fuck it all.

Won't you tell me what you're thinking of Would you be an outlaw for my love If it's so, well, let me know If it's "no", well, I can go I won't make you

italicized lyrics/ Alex Chilton

31 Comments:

Blogger Cooper said...

Let me start.
I know that was a useless post but pretend otherwise.

Thank You



Cooper

2/01/2006 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

See, I immedeately thought of Dylan

Baby Can I Come Home With You
Baby Can I Come Home With You
Well I'd Do Anything In This God Almighty World
If You Just Let Me Come Home With You


Hope you manage your passport problem

2/01/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A post becomes useless if it remains in your head.

No need to apologize Coopster.

2/02/2006 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger mojo shivers said...

Actually, I sold your passport on Ebay, Miss Cooper.

2/02/2006 03:41:00 AM  
Blogger Indeterminacy said...

I think we're all on the no-fly list anyhow.

2/02/2006 04:54:00 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Hope you find it! But if I were you I would hurry on over and apply/order/request (whatever the word is for getting a new pass) a new one. Pay extra and they rush it on over to you...

You MUST go to Costa Rica! YOU MUST!

There's the drama for the day amiga. Gotta jet tend to life in Espa�a... Ay!

2/02/2006 05:07:00 AM  
Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

Elliot Smith's version of that is great (did you find it in the film "Thumbsucker?"). Do you know the original version?

2/02/2006 06:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just needed a good rant! ;)

How dare you take that tone with your mother! ;)

I hope you find the ol' passport soon. Ummm... can I come and visit in Chareleston... that's Charleston, SC right? One of the most beautiful places I have ever visited in the states! ;)

2/02/2006 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Wombat: Good thoughts and I'm on the passport problem.

taorist: I know what you mean...need to get it out of the head and on to the internet it seems.

MoJo: What's it going for?

Indie: You may be right about that, I blame my daddy.

Mizzy Bohem: tend it well for me.

dedd: No I found it on his CD "B Sides and other songs". But I have heard the Big Star (original version and Wilco's version. I think there are a hundred more covers out there somewhere.

Shayna: It is beautiful; I'm not much for the south though. My grandmother moved there after my grandfather died and the house is currently being leased to two professors from Charleston so yeah when I kick them out. ;) Great old homes and the city is rather interesting.

2/02/2006 09:12:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Oh againg dedd thanks I knew that when I put down elliot smith as the composer too I just forgot.
I think the Decemberists also have a cover of it which is pretty typical of all the covers done of it over time.

2/02/2006 09:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you find your passport, but what I'm really excited about is I actually do know that Alex Chilton song.
Good luck.

2/02/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

In the winter in MN you can x-country ski over the border into Canada.

I've been practicing.

2/02/2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry about your memory. Senility can be quite fun, and you always get to meet new people.

2/02/2006 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Great...Now I can't remember where mine is. I hope you find it!

2/02/2006 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Rio said...

i once lost my passport and when i found it some kind of mold had grown underneath the lamenation. i dont know how it happened it wasnt in a wet place but it did and it was gross. and i was going to italy in one week and i had to get a new one which i waited to do until the day before my flight. i definately dont recommend this. my mother insists i call her mum which is ridiculous but she likes the way it sounds when young british children talk to their mothers. shes crazy, most mothers are.

2/02/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jacob said...

" back in the dayish" ?

I like it.

Nice little tune, brings back memories of being thirteen. I hope you went and applied for a new passport, or a lost passport or something. It seems to take longer these days I hear.

If I am any indication your memory will get extremely selective by age thirty but it should still be there. ;)

Mothers bless them all.

2/02/2006 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger The ZenFo Pro said...

Hey, good luck getting the passport thing resolved.

Don't let strange guys follow you home, either. I've been trying to ignore the whole SOTU Address thing. Figured it would be more of the same. Good sedative, though :)

2/02/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger mojo shivers said...

The current winning bid for your passport is $26.50.

2/02/2006 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

Can't say you missed much on the State of the Union.
But old Bushies line about "creating human-animal hybrids" did amuse me.
I was hoping they'd bring some out, but Cheney was as close as we got.

2/02/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

Wow. I never knew Wilco covered that song. I would love to hear that. Thanks for telling me about that.

2/02/2006 09:51:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

I didn't find it but went to get another one and hope it gets here. Paid extra, it's easier if you already have one I believe.

LOL yeah for knowing Alex Chilton.

dan: I know they told me they had their eye on you.

robot: done.

coyote: cute. I'm only half senile as yet.

leigh: I've decided I need to keep better track of my personal papers. In case I have to flee or something in the future. You better find your passport as well. Never know.

rio: your mother sounds wild, mine may well have mold on it ( passport not mother)so I�m glad I�m getting a new one.

bizman: yes thirteen..those were the days...or were they?

zenpro: it was a great sedative. He wasn't actually strange( well ya he was strange) he is was on one of my classes last year and I ran into him on the street.

mojo: IS THAT ALL??????

seizethenight: Cheney is more like a human lowbred anyway I�m glad I took the nap option.

Dedd: you�d be surprised what I could tell you.

2/02/2006 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Alice, I watched the State of the Union and somehow missed the line about human/animal hybrids. After waiting a lifetime.

2/03/2006 07:57:00 AM  
Blogger mojo shivers said...

It would have gone for more, but I think the burlesque mime picture that you used as your passport photo really drove the price down.

2/03/2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

Doug. lol To think you missed that , you poor dog; it could have been the pinnacle for you. ;)

mojo: I had a feeling that parsimony would prevail.
I thought the mime thing would be a selling point.

2/03/2006 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your replacement will come on time; they're good about that or were back in the day when I used to lose them regularly

Couldn't make myself watch the state of the union--it sucks

Please write about your mother more in dialogue--me like!

If I make moderation into a country will you like being queen of it more?

2/03/2006 02:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write more about your ass or post pictures of it. me like

2/03/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Thanks for visiting my site :) I'm glad you did because now I visited your blog and enjoy it ;)
Hugs,
Em

2/03/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This crap that goes on between you and people you do not know never fails to amaze me cooper.

Thirteen...that's when I met you isn't it?


Brings back memories.

Look some stranger named Em gives you hugs. Now I know why Dane started a blog, he wants hugs too.

there is a garbage wersion too.

;)

In the cells of my brain always

Love the convo with your mom.

2/03/2006 05:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://wxxlllmj.com/qfnp/ists.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://xrzjhugd.com/wuim/muhh.html]Cool site[/url]

9/17/2006 09:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

9/17/2006 09:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://wxxlllmj.com/qfnp/ists.html | http://ibavfexi.com/jdnc/okmf.html

9/17/2006 09:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home